What's the world like after high school?
Recent graduates will offer their advice on this page in regards to what to expect after graduation. Check back
soon to hear their words of wisdom.
10 Tips to Surviving Your
Freshmen Year of College
1. Use mobile apps and technology to organize your busy schedule. Check out Quizlet, iStudiez Pro, inClass, iProcrastinate, and Outliner for organizational tools and apps.
2. Talk to your professor about your grades if you have questions. A meeting provides answers and lets your teacher get to know you.
3. Avoid the Freshmen 15! College cafeterias are filled with fast food and buffets. Seek healthy alternatives to keep your body and brain in shape!
4. Set ground rules with your roommate early. Discuss acceptable activity and expectations.
5. Look for reduced or free textbooks. Never pay full price for books. Amazon, libraries, and local used book stores are great sources of money saving options. You can also rent books instead of purchasing them.
6. Fight college stress by finding a hobby, exercising, sleeping, eating healthy, and/or visiting counseling options provided by your school.
7. Less is more when packing for college. Make sure your boxes store under your bed and your items are mobile and collapsible.
8. Make your dorm room feel like home. Place familiar objects around your room and personalize your space by visiting sites like dormco.com
9. Consider noise cancelling headphones and blackout curtains if your dorm room has windows.
10. Maintain a college budget. Record all of your expenses and do research on the costs involved with your particular college.